Multi-Color Microgreens Growing in a Koppert Cress Greenhouse - photo by David Benthal Courtesy of northforker
The food scene on the East End of Long Island is all about Fresh and Local. So it isn’t really surprising that a Dutch company, Koppert Cress, would open an outpost in Riverhead - growing microgreens and flowers for chefs and mixologists - full of amazing flavors, not just decoration! Grown in state-of-the-art, sustainable greenhouses, Koppert Cress experiments with heirloom varietals from all over the world. Did you know that there are over 300 varieties of Basil?
Red Veined Sorrel from Koppert Cress
And not only herbs you know and love, like basil . . . Koppert Cress offers many other magnificent microgreens and edible flowers. And if you are looking for variety, they have over 70 - spicy ones like Wasabi, and not one, but TWO types of mustard. They have sweet ones like Sambuca and Carrot. And, even fruity ones like Micro Basil Lemon and Tangerine. Of course, they carry all the most popular varieties like Micro Basil, Arugula, Cilantro and Radish. Chef Carolyn says the weirdest one is a vegetarian oyster!
Growing Vertically in Koppert Cress Greenhouse - Photo by Lindsay Morris Courtesy of Edible East End
- Read The Edible East End Article: Koppert Cress Grows Mad Scientist Microgreens on the East End.
- Koppert Cress on News 12 Long Island
- Northforker.com: Microgreens are proof that good things come in small packages
Flavor Fields, the US umbrella brand created in 2018 as a hub for culinary innovation, incorporates the Koppert Cress brand as well as Lafayette Spices, an extraordinary line of salts, spices, and flavorings, and grow-your-own microgreen kits from the company, Grown.
Chef Carolyn in the Mill House Inn Kitchen
Flavor Field Facebook Videos starring MHI Chef Carolyn:
- Herb Omelette with Broccoli, Spinach, Onions, Asparagus, Goat Cheese, Vegetable Demi Glaze, Micro Chervil, & Micro Broccoli
- Sloppy Joe: Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo, Ground Beef, Ground Pork, Goat Cheese, and Rock Chives
- Vegetable Hash: Spinach, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Tomato, Potatoes, Asparagus, Poached Eggs, and Rucola Cress.
MHI Vegetable Frittata with Cress
Flavor Fields YouTube Videos starring MHI Chef Carolyn:
- Breakfast Poutine: Fried Eggs with Potatoes, Smoked Brisket, Spinach, Smoked Cheddar, Micro Mirepoix + Micro Peppercess
- Caprese Frittata: Eggs, Heirloom Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil Piros Cress, Micro Basil Mix
- Veggie Scramble with Broccoli, Spinach, Mushrooms, Tomato, Roasted Red Peppers, Asparagus, and Micro Celebration Mix.
- Cabot Creamery Omelet with Onions, Cheddar, Bacon, Cabin Cheddar Cheese and Micro Beet Bulls Blood
- Herb Omelette with Broccoli, Spinach, Onions, Asparagus, Goat Cheese, Vegetable Demi Glace, Micro Broccoli, and Micro Chervil