Black Dog in the Ebb Tide on Egypt Beach
And now for the rest of the story ‘Dogs on the Beach II.’
Being a Personal Assistant at The Mill House has brought with it many responsibilities. The love and care of one's pet is quite a responsibility on a day to day basis. But when you are traveling with your four-legged pal the thrill of a new destination adds to the list of must-do items, it just might become a bit confusing! That is precisely where an MHI Personal Assistant is ready and able to help at a moments notice, almost deserving a new title - that of Pup Concierge! And that is where we will begin, because what we do before the beach is just as important as the pleasures of romping in the sand.
Dog in the Dunes
- First and foremost is Napeague Harbor. Yes, it’s my favorite dog beach! And people beach as well! There is magic in these sand dunes, trees so tall the very tops are buried under many feet of sand. Beach fires, a Lobster Roast in the sand, family and friends drinking East End Wine & Spirits. They are the Walking Dunes and they have a story Sylvia loves to share. But the details of that adventure are reserved for another day!
- The Springs Dog Park is 20 acres set aside for leash free frolicking. Wag says: 'The park can be tough to find at first. It is off Three Mile Harbor Hog Creek Road between Whipple Road and Gann Road. There is a green sign that says "Springs Park" where you turn and drive down until you reach the dog park.'
Chef Carolyn Making Dog Biscuits at the Mill House Inn
The Details from a dog’s point of view:
It is our pleasure to take care of the details associated with travel when your dog tags along. Let us begin with a suite designed to accommodate your favorite four-legged travel companion. Our short list of the imperative details follows:
- A super comfy dog bed, of the appropriate size for your dog, big or small
- Stainless Steel dog dishes, the ability to sterilize is very important, healthy pets matter
- Water and food dishes must also be of suitable dimension, I always love the picture of the puppy ‘in' his dish
- House-made, freshly baked dog biscuits and treats - does that make Chef a ‘Puppy Pastry Chef"?
- MHI turkey or lamb dog food with fresh vegetables and oats
- Towels and water for the beach, also a cooler of ice
- Refuse bags, it gets ugly without them.
Jeep’s Birthday Party in Suite 20
Dog Services and other stuff that matters
- Our local Vet ‘EH Vet Group’ provides Boarding, Grooming, Emergency Services
- Left something at home or need extra treats for new friends at the beach? Try our local pet store or Khanhs Sports.
- Just because they do good work we mention ARF. if you love dogs and you are able, please support their efforts! ARF actively rescues cats and dogs, provides quality care and offers sanctuary until loving homes can be found.
- Most Vineyards will allow you to take your leashed dog for a walk as you tour their property. If you have designed a list of vineyards to visit just ask your personal assistant to call and check about their dog policy.
A Happy Vineyard Dog
Dining with your Dog
Outdoor dining and having your dog along for the adventure go hand in hand . . .
- Pierres in Bridgehampton offers outdoor seating
- Almond in Bridgehampton offers outdoor seating
- Page in Sag Harbor offers outdoor seating
- Townline in Sagaponack offers outdoor seating
- Simply Sublime in East Hampton offers outdoor seating
- Rowdy Hall in East Hampton offers outdoor seating
- The Maidstone in East Hampton, bar area seating with a special dog menu
Happy Dog on Egypt Beach
The Controversy of Dogs Rights - Over the years
As of late, the right to take your dog to the beach has been challenged and the East Hampton Star has covered the Village Board meetings about dogs on the beach New Dog Rules Before Dog Days? and of course, the NY Times covered the news. Steven Gaines spoke at a village meeting and was quoted in EH Patch saying “The only thing I’m really afraid of is that somebody is going to come forward and ban dogs on the beach altogether and that would be a great tragedy. That’s part of our culture, that’s actually part of our heritage,” he said. Curbed Hamptons poll Should Dogs Be Leashed on the Beach? shows a small margin for a leash law.
Now for a bit of levity take a look at reddit, The Patron Saint of Vermont ’Saint Bernard Sanders’ wonders maybe? ‘I Think Dogs should Vote”
Surfer Dog - Courtesy of The Dog Film Festival
First-Ever National Dog Film Festival Tour To Visit The Hamptons
Due to its continued overwhelming, sold-out success in New York City, the Dog Film Festival is expanding to visit cities across the United States for the first time ever this summer and fall. The brainchild of Tracie Hotchner, the tour will be stopping in 12 locations, including East Hampton. The Festival honors the unparalleled connection between dogs and their families and while visiting East Hampton the screenings will benefit ARF!
Walking with Your Boy on Main Beach
Lagniappe - Five Very Fine Beaches
It’s Five from the ‘Wag!’ List of Favorite Dog Walks!
Trust me, it’s worth the walk from the people prospective as well, and your dog will nominate you as one of their very favorite people ever. This is Wag’s take on five beaches that make beachfront wandering worth the walk!
Two-Mile Hollow Beach 'it's such a quiet, unspoiled stretch of sand that you can often feel like you're a long way from anywhere'
East Hampton Main Beach This awesome beach earned the distinction of being rated the #1 beach in 2013 on the Forbes list of Top 10 Beaches in the United States. East Hampton Main Beach is dog-friendly, and pooches and their people agree with the list's number one global placement.
Georgica Beach is just past Georgica Cove and a bit before Georgica Pond. All Georgica all the time! In total 17 minutes and shy a mile of the most beautiful dog friendly beach walk in the world. And taking the street walk back to Main beach via Lily Pond Lane is equally as scenic, showcasing some of the most wonderful East End Shingle Style Architecture to be viewed anywhere!
Maidstone Club In a region known for it’s quiet beaches Maidstone is pronounced to be the most quiet beach of them all. Maybe the beach to take a nap on with your best four legged friend who defines his day by the volume of nap-time attained.
Albert's Landing Beach also known as ‘Big Albert’s Landing’ sits on the shores of Napeague Bay. A sandy shoreline, warm waters, BBQ Grills and picnic tables will make ‘Big Albert’ your new very best friend!
Dog Waiting for a Walk with His Favorite Leash - Courtesy of Wag
Researching dogs on the beach left me with a wonderful find, it is called ‘Wag.’ I mentioned it above. Please click the link and learn what Wag does as a professional Dog walking service. Many years ago, Tony Robbins taught me to find the very best at what you seek to learn about and follow their lead. Well, Tony has always been spot on and Wag is certainly a learning experience for properly loving and caring for your dog. Find yourself crunched for time or a bit under the weather and Wag will also take care of everything. Otherwise they are a fantastic resource for people and dogs alike!
See you on the beach!