Folk Art rendition of the American Flag done in driftwood and old iron
July in East Hampton is so packed with things to do and people to see that it’s hard to figure out where to begin!
This week let’s talk about one of East Hampton’s most treasured institutions: The East Hampton Historical Society.
The East Hampton Historical Society's Clinton Academy
The East Hampton Historical Society
The East Hampton Historical Society maintains a number of museums and national landmark historic sites of both local and national importance.
The following content is courtesy of the East Hampton Historical Society. Call them at 631-324-6850 or visit their website for hours of operation and additional information …
- Mulford Farm (10 James Lane, East Hampton) is one of America's most significant, intact, English Colonial farmsteads and has been left largely unchanged since 1750. In addition, the home has remained in the Mulford family’s hands for the majority of its existence giving scholars the opportunity to trace the family, their use of the land and structures around them. The lives and spirit of this family echo throughout the house, which was restored using period appropriate furnishings and authentic decorative arts.
- The Mulford Barn, constructed in 1721, is recognized as an outstanding example of early eighteenth-century construction methods and materials.
- Clinton Academy (1151 Main Street, East Hampton) constructed in 1784, was one of the first academies chartered by the Board of Regents in New York State. Even at that early time, it was a coeducational institution preparing young men for college or for careers such as seafaring or surveying. Young women were schooled in spiritual reading and the finer points of being a lady. Enjoy the wild flower garden behind the property installed by the Garden Club of East Hampton.
- The Town House, c. 1731 is the earliest surviving one-room schoolhouse on Long Island. Studies were very basic: reading, writing, and enough arithmetic to keep an account book. Teachers rarely had a very extensive education and there were virtually no textbooks or paper to use; learning was accomplished by copying onto a slate. School was dismissed from January through March during the whaling season where everyone, including children, had to help in carving the whales. After 1845, the building continued to be used as a meeting place for the Town Trustees. It was later used as a barbershop, an interior decorator's studio and the town welfare headquarters during the Depression. In 1958, the East Hampton Historical Society acquired and moved the Town House to a lot adjacent to the Clinton Academy.
- Osborn-Jackson House (101 Main Street, East Hampton) was lived in by six generations of Osborns until the late 1960's. The original portion of the house, circa 1723, was the family home of "Deacon" Daniel Osborn. His son, Jonathan inherited the house and made additions in 1760. The house was owned successively by his sons Joseph and Sylvanus, his grandson Edward E. Gardiner, and their descendants until the mid-20th century. This colonial house, one of the few still in its original position on Main Street, serves as the headquarters for the East Hampton Historical Society and a period house museum for the general public.
- The Thomas & Mary Nimmo Moran Studio (229 Main Street, East Hampton) is a National Historic Landmark. In 1884, Moran built the first artist's studio in East Hampton, NY which marked the beginning of the village as an artist's colony. The Moran Studio has been described as "a quirky, Queen Anne style-studio cottage. The Studio is now a member of the Historic Artists' Homes and Studios Program of The National Trust for Historic Preservation. This program celebrates the homes and working studios of American artists across the nation.
- East Hampton Town Marine Museum (301 Bluff Road in Amagansett) The Marine Museum tells the unique story of Long Island's East End community and its relationship with the sea through artifacts, photographs, models, and displays. Three floors of exhibitions are characterized by a thoughtful interpretation of historical research and the perspective of the men who work on the water every day of their lives.
Thomas Moran Pastoral Painting of East Hampton
Some notable Historical Society Events for the summer of 2019 include:
Victorian Garden Tour & Tea
Friday July 5, from 11:00 am $25
The Thomas & Mary Nimmo Moran Studio
- Join president of the Garden Club of East Hampton, Julie Sakellariadis, as she relates the history and design of the Mary Nimmo Moran Garden at The Studio. Then enjoy a Victorian afternoon tea on the lawn. To register please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 631-324-6850
Doyle Appraisal Day
Friday July 12, 9:30 am 2:30 pm $20
Hedges – Edwards Barn @ Mulford Farm
- Join the Doyle team of specialists for an Appraisal Day to benefit the East Hampton Historical Society.
- Doyle’s specialists will provide verbal auction estimates for paintings and prints, jewelry, watches and silver. Discover the value of your treasures in today's auction market.
- A donation of $20 is good for appraisals of up to five objects. The appraisals will be conductedby appointment. Donations are collected the day of the program.
- Contact: Kathy Brackenridge 212-427-4141, ext 211 Kathy.Brackenridge@Doyle.com
Moran Studio Celebration
Saturday July 13, 6:00 – 8:00 pm, from $175
This celebration will be held at the historic, oceanfront NID DE PAPILLON in East Hampton.
- Thomas Moran (1837 to 1926) was an American painter of the Hudson River School, best known for his landscape paintings in the American West. He and his wife Mary Nimmo Moran (1842-1899), an etcher and landscape painter, built the first artist studio in East Hampton in 1884 and became a magnet for the growing artist community on the East End. Both are buried in the South Side Cemetery across the street next to East Hampton Town Pond. The studio and gardens were restored and opened to the public in 2018.
East Hampton Historical Society Antiques and Design Show
13th Annual East Hampton Antiques & Design Show
Preview Party Friday, July 19 $250
Show Hours: Saturday, July 20th 10am-6pm (Early Buying 9am-10am)
Sunday July 21 10am-5pm $10
- One of the largest shows of its kind on the East End, the Antiques & Design Show will feature over 50 vendors selling everything from antique furniture to jewelry and textiles, to interior décor items in support of the East Hampton Historical Society’s education and preservation efforts.
July & August 5:00 pm 07:30 pm
- Sunday, July 7: Lynn Melnick andRosalind Brenner
- Sunday, July 14: Stephen Massimilla and Julie Sheehan
- Sunday, July 28: Joan Cusack Handler and Tom Thompson
- Sunday, August 4: Local, notable poets
Lecture & Luncheon: New Life in Old Houses: Architecture and Desire in East Hampton
Thursday August 8 11:30 am – 2:00 pm Tickets go on sale July 8th.
The Maidstone Club
- David Netto will be the speaker for this year's Lecture and Luncheon at Maidstone Club, which he described as " A look in three parts at patrician history big and small, daring modern takes, and my own work in what many of us are sure is the most beautiful place in the world."
- David Netto, an author, and designer of interiors and furniture, presently writes the Case Studies column for Town & Country magazine where he is contributing design editor. His work as a decorator has been published widely in Vogue, AD, ElleDecor, and many books, most recently the PhaidonInteriors book. His articles on design history have appeared in such publications as T and The Wall Street Journal, and he is the author of a book on the work of Francois Catroux. David grew up spending summers in East Hampton and still does, crediting his early years spent riding a bike here with sparking an interest in architecture and storytelling, which go hand in hand as they should.
Claus Hoie Whale Print
At the Clinton Academy:
- Artists at Home: The Historic Artists’ Homes and Studios Program (through July 6, 2019)
At the East Hampton Town Marine Museum
- The Artist & The Fisherman: Highlights from the Collection
- New - the Claus Hoie Gallery of Whaling, a permanent exhibition of paintings by Claus Hoie, an East Hampton painter, that depicts the story of a 19th-century whaling expedition that set sail from Sag Harbor.
At the Moran House:
- Thomas Moran Discovers the American West
Next week we will delve into another great East Hampton Establishment - Guild Hall... So many things to do - or you could just do nothing but take a good book to the beach... But now you have to choose which beach you want to go to!
Reading a book on Maidstone Beach
For more about the history of the Hamptons, check out these posts:
- July in East Hampton: Part Two, Guild Hall
- A Tour of Historic East Hampton, New York
- The History of the Mill House Inn
- Architecture (and Some Notable Architects) of The Hamptons
- Your Guide to the Very Best of Historic Montauk
- Sag Harbor: The Authentic Village
- Historical Museums of the Hamptons: Part One, East Hampton
- Historical Museums of the Hamptons: Part Two, Springs, Amagansett, Montauk & Sag Harbor
- Historical Museums of the Hamptons: Part Three, Bridgehampton & Watermill
- Historical Museums of the Hamptons: Part Four, Southampton
- Historical Museums of the Hamptons: Part Five, The Shinnecock Nation Cultural Center and Museum