Sen – The Restoration
What better way to celebrate a 25 year anniversary of a restaurant mainstay than with a complete restoration?
- Start off by giving careful consideration to the historic and neighborhood significance as you plan a new trend setting design that pays homage to the Historic dining institution that entertains the likes of Alec Baldwin, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Fallon, and Eric Ripert.
- Sen Sag Harbor retained N. Zappola & Associates to perform the magic act, with the motto “if you can dream it, we can build it.”
- The outcome was sure to astound new and returning guests.
- As with any successful project of this kind, the finished product should make you wonder if anything has really changed, hence the magic!
Sen – The Clan
“Run skillfully by Jesse Matsuoka, the restaurant was founded by Jesse’s father – a former sumo wrestler – and his brother, Toro Matsuoka, along with restaurateur, Jeff Resnick, are also co-owners. The Matsuoka’s strong bond brings to life the aforementioned familial vibe, which is the heartbeat of the restaurant. Whenever anyone walks through its doors, they too become a welcome part of the Matsuoka clan. Not to be left out of the party, Lynn Matsuoka, Jesse’s mother, is a renowned Hamptons artist whose acclaim grew from her sumo and kabuki art. Many of her works grace the walls of Sen, as well.”
For the rest of the story and some dining recommendations: From Hamptons to Hollywood!
Sake Sommelier – Jesse Matsuok
Jesse Matsuoka is the Sake expert at Sen and bears the distinguished title of Certified Sake Sommelier – of which he is the only one with those qualifications on Long Island and one of less than 100 on the East Coast. Not an easy title to earn, one must amass an immense amount of knowledge along with passing a 9-hour test. Jesse told the Sag Harbor Express about the experience, my favorite part of the test is that you must actually consume the Sake while tasting.
“I passed with pretty good scores,” said Mr. Matsuoka, adding that multiple people did not make it through the challenging courses and three-part test, which included blindfolded scent and taste identification of alcohol percentage, style, and name. Intoxication added to the challenge too, he said, “from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. it was taste, taste, taste, and there is no spittoon with sake.“ The idea of testing & drinking works for me!
- Jesse’s goal is to open a Sake Brewery on the East Coast, I wish him well.
- ‘Kanpai’ Jesse – Cheers, or the literal meaning: ‘Empty Cup’!
Lagniappe – ‘a little something extra about Sen’
- If you do not like leaving your best friend at home, or your dog really like tuna sashimi: BringFido says it’s OK to bring the pup with you while you dine on the front patio. Please double check to make sure all is still fine for Fido to have dinner with you as your guest!
- Sen does a wonderful job of packaging take-out sushi! So if you’re thinking of having dinner in the comfort of your suite at MHI, place your order early. Then stop by Franey’s for some sake.
- Ryunsake Jesse Matsuoka interview with 27-East
- The Sushi Critic talks about a menu that changes little as the restaurant it serves becomes new.
Celebrating 25 Years in Sag Harbor
Casual Modern Japanese Cuisine @1994
Owners – Jeff Resnick, Jesse, and Tora Matsuoka
Jessie is the only Certified Sake Sommelier on LI
Lunch, Dinner & Late Night Menu
23 Main Street Sag Harbor NY 11963
Please Call – 631-725-1774
You can also find Almond at Facebook & Instagram
“strike sushi gold at this trendy Sag Harbor phenomenon
serving superb, slightly modernized Japanese dishes.”