Ditch Plains Surfer at Sunset, Courtesy of Guest of a Guest
If you find yourself thinking about East End Surfing, you will inevitably land at Ditch Plains Beach. Possibly with a bucket of Herb’s Fried Chicken! Popular with surfers and everybody who likes to watch surfers, this beach is two miles east of the village on the ocean with parking by permit only at two parking areas. The super long break makes surfing ideal for newbies or veteran longboarders. This iconic beach has beautiful cliffs rising at its western end at Shadmoor Park, restrooms, outdoor showers, lifeguards during the summer season, and concession trailers that serve more than just snacks. That would be the infamous ‘Ditch-Witch!’
Young Surfers at Ditch Plains
The Three Surfing Beaches Out East:
- The rock bottom on the surf floor at 'Ditch Plains' Beach causes the waves to have a 'long-peeling' trait. That continuous break is often referred to as the 'perfect wave.' Without a doubt, 'Ditch' has earned its reputation as one of the East Coast’s best surfing beaches!
- The 1950's Cold War assigned 'Camp Hero' its code-name: 'Radars.’ Perhaps the Montauk Project might be more familiar. More accurately, it's derived from the old 'Soviet Listening Station' hidden at 'CH.' These towers still maintain surveillance on this clandestine beach location. Spy stuff aside, 'Radars' requires a bit of climbing to access this desolate surf spot. The effort required has serious rewards - little if any competition for waves many call a surfers dream.
- South-West of the lighthouse, 'Turtle Cove' is often the sight of swells that rival Ditch Plains. That notoriety too often results in summer crowds; maybe 'TC' is the watch and be watched beach Out East! Turtle Cove is also the home of surf casters in pursuit of Stripers - 'TC' is a crowded beach! That's Striped Bass, or Rock Fish if you hail from the Chesapeake Region, and for this Chef - the best-eating fin-fish caught Out East.
Climbing Down the Bluff to Surf At Camp Hero, Montauk
Austin's Surf Camp or ‘ASC’ teaches you to surf and to love the water with private group or individual lessons or just join the ‘Daily Open Group Surf’ Oh by the way, ‘ASC’ is the creation of Austin Avery Eckardt, a Montauk native, Pro Surfer and all around ‘chill guy.’ Guest of a Guest talks the Montauk ‘OG’ Surf Community and Austin Avery Eckardt... As Eckardt sets up shop every day at Ditch Plains, it seems his mission co-exists with his passion: keeping Montauk's ‘Old School’ Original Cool vibe alive and intact. Funny how I always thought of ‘OG’ as ‘Original Guy’ - well, in this case, the board seems to fit and ‘AAE’ rides with the best!
Hamptons Surf Company - Two Photo Boards
Hamptons Surf Company - Art that rises with the tide . . . Art also mixes with Beach, Clothing and of course Surf Boards. David Rampersad, Matt Leverett, and Matthew Barton have worked together to develop a line of carefully curated functional artwork that celebrates the surf culture. Buy yourself a surfboard and a few photo boards that are actually printed on fiberglass! There is a connection at 'HSC' - one that dates back to the very first Artists to call The East End Home.
In an effort to encourage artistic collaboration, art teacher and sculptor Gregory Barton partnered with his brother and photographer, Matthew Barton. Together the two creators have nurtured a growing group of talented individuals under the brand 'Hamptons Surf Company.'
'Hamptons Surf Company was initially created as a way to give back to our community. Our mission is to facilitate artistic collaborations that do more than just hang in a gallery. We have and will continue to donate a portion of the sales of each project to charities hand-picked by our members. With the idea in mind that the world's waters connect all of us, our hope is that Hamptons Surf Company, with the help of our partner charities, will act as a vessel for change.'
Girl on a Wave - Global Boarding, Sag Harbor
Global Boarding, in Sag Harbor, is not limited to teaching surfing. They specialize in Wakeboards, Waterskiing, Wakesurfing, Paddleboards, SUP, Kayak and Summer Session Kids Camp. Their Professional Staff includes Captains, Coaches, Counselors, Surf Instructors, Lifeguards, and Drivers.
If it's fun on the water, it's a good bet that Global Boarding is ready to teach you a new sport or coach you to excel at a current one! If it is surfing that has piqued your interest, 'GB' has the skill set to guide you from being a beginner to reaching an intermediate level. From early May until late September, Global Boarding is in the Hamptons to make your days on the water the very best!
Lagniappe . . .
As a youngster, I spent every summer at the beach, most on a boat. One summer fishing off Jones Beach my dad shared these words with me.
- Your grandfather always said 'every day on the water is a good day.' He went on to finish 'count yourself as lucky to share these waters, show them the love and respect they deserve.’
- As I get older I like this song more and more . . .
- This is a side of JB you may not be familiar with, Thanks Delaney.
Jimmy Buffett with his Surfboard (and a friend) from Instagram
For more of Gary's musings on surfing: