East Hampton Main Street Christmas Lights
A walk down Main Street in East Hampton Village is never more special than during the Holidays! The shop windows are all decked out; the trees are all aglow with multi-colored bulbs from Town Pond on the west end, to the Sheepfold on the east end of the village, across from the Mill House Inn.
Gary will be guiding you on your holiday shopping expeditions, but I want to let you in on some of the many festive holiday happenings in the Hamptons. The events and dates below are for 2018, but generally occur every year during December.
East Hampton Santa Parade – NY Patch
The East Hampton Chamber of Commerce sponsors multiple festive events throughout December:
- East Hampton Santa Parade
- Saturday, December 1 @ 10 am. The parade will begin at Main Street and finish at Newtown Lane.
- Town Crier, Hugh King, has been named Grand Marshall. Also participating in this year’s parade will be Santa with his reindeer and sleigh, as well as Mayor Paul Rickenbach in the antique #5 fire truck, the Lions Club, Kiwanis, the Girl Scouts, the Boy Scouts, the Ross School, the YMCA, Antique Tractors, 5 Hamlets Fire Trucks, Dance Hampton, the Historical Society, the Springs School Band, the East Hampton Classic Boat Club, the WELJ Mobile Studio, and the East Hampton Library.
- Additionally, children are invited to get their pictures taken with Santa at Eileen Fisher (26 Newtown Lane) following the parade @ 11 am.
- Ladies Village Improvement Society Holiday Open House
- Saturday, December 1 @ 2:00-4:00 pm
- Enjoy refreshments and meet Mrs. Claus
- Do some Holiday Shopping at the Thrift Shop - you never know what the wealthy denizens of East Hampton will discard...
- East Hampton Village Christmas Tree Lighting
- Saturday December 1 @ 4:00 – 6:00 pm at The Maidstone (207 Main Street)
- The official lighting ceremony will have live music, hot cocoa, and more refreshments, carolers, children's activities, and the Grand Lighting of the Christmas Tree of course! At it’s free!
- Menorahcade and Giant Menorah Lighting Ceremony
- Sunday December 2 @ 3:00 – 4:30 pm
- The parade leaves from Chabad of the Hamptons (13 Woods Lane) @ 3:30 pm
- Lighting Ceremony begins at 4:00 Pm in Herrick Park on Newtown Lane
- Featuring Music, Donuts, Hot Drinks, and more!
- East Hampton Village Annual Tour of Historic Inns and Places
- Saturday December 8 @ 11:00 – 3:00 pm
- The tour is self-guided and will begin at The Huntting Inn (94 Main Street), where participants can check in and receive their maps. Participation in the tour is free as a gift from the East Hampton Chamber of Commerce, and each of the B & B’s will welcome guests with refreshments and conversations. Sites will be open from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Participating sites in East Hampton Village include: Guild Hall @ 158 Main Street, The Thomas Moran Studio @ 229 Main Street - Celebrate a Victorian Christmas at this amazing display! Ladies Village Improvement Society @ 95 Main Street, East Hampton Library @ 159 Main Street, Bookhampton @ 41 Main Street, The Mill House Inn @ 31 North Main Street, The Huntting Inn & The Palm @ 94 Main Street, Baker House 1650 @ 181 Main Street, Maidstone Hotel @ 207 Main Street, 1770 House @ 143 Main Street.
- A little further afield you can explore Ashawagh Hall @ 780 Springs Fireplace Road, and The Pollock-Krasner House in Springs (otherwise closed for the winter) @ 803 Springs Fireplace Rd, Springs and there are more open houses inn Bridgehampton if you decide to leave East Hampton…
Mill House Inn – Winter
The East Hampton Historical Society will host its annual holiday offerings:
- Lantern Tour # 2 on Friday December 14 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm.
- Take a stroll down Main Street as the tales of the historic inhabitants are brought to life. Then, explore five historic buildings--Clinton Academy, Osborn-Jackson House, First Presbyterian Church, Mulford Farm House, and Home Sweet Home--as they were illuminated in days of yore.
- The tour will begin at Clinton Academy Museum, rain or shine. Cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. 18-person limit. Call 631-324-6850 to reserve.
- Celebrate a Victorian Christmas at the Thomas & Mary Moran Studio @ 229 Main Street, across from the Village Pond
- Saturdays from December 1 - 22 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm $5 admission
- Spread the holiday cheer with the Morans and visit the Studio decorated for a 19th century Christmas.
For more about the Morans, please revisit our Blog on The Hamptons Summer Art Scene.
Nutcracker – Hamptons Ballet Theater School
- Hampton Ballet Theatre School presents the Tenth Annual Performance of the Nutcracker
- Friday December 7 @ 7:00 pm, Saturday December 8 @ 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm, and Sunday December 9 @ 2:00 pm
- Hampton Ballet Theatre School’s Nutcracker will enchant children of all ages, as the students of HBTS transport the audience to a land where angels, snowflakes and flowers dance and Clara saves the Nutcracker Prince from the evil Mouse King. The Nutcracker will produce holiday cheer for all, as everyone celebrates in the Land of Sweets. Do not miss this extraordinary holiday event!
- Citarella Gingerbread House Workshop
- Saturday December 8 @ 11:30 am. For children ages 5 - 12.
- The aroma of cinnamon and spice is in the air — it’s time for our annual gingerbread house decorating event! Children ages 5-12 are invited to join Citarella’s merry team of confectionary experts and make festive displays using frosting, candy, and a fully assembled, freshly baked cookie house. Seating is limited, so reserve your space today!
- And for the parents, explore the Guild Hall galleries, or sneak off for a holiday beverage in one of East Hampton’s treasured watering holes, while the kids make a mess that someone else will clean up!.
- The Last Minute Holiday Bazaar
- Saturday December 22 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Procrastinators unite! One Day Only! Come by Guild Hall to finish up your holiday shopping in our beautiful Moran Gallery, featuring:
- 24 local artisans
- The Shop at Guild Hall
- Free gift wrapping table
- Holiday movies screening all day long
- Season backdrops for fun and memorable photos
- Festive treats available
- And so much more
- Sneak in some of MHI’s gourmet popcorn to watch the free movies!
Building Gingerbread Houses
And a bit beyond the Village:
The Stephen Talkhouse (161 Main St, Amagansett): Holiday offerings:
- Talkhouse Christmas Party!!!
- Wednesday December 19 - Doors open @ 6:00 pm
- Please donate an unwrapped NEW toy, clothing, jacket, etc. for local families and children in need. The Hamptons is not made up of only rich people. Someone has to take care of them!
- New Years Eve
- GE Smith and Friends @ 8:00 pm
- GE Smith is a local celebrity, and one of the most in demand blues / rock guitarists in the world. Millions of TV viewers know his face-and the shock of unruly blond ponytail that was always falling across it-from his tenure fronting the Saturday Night Live Band. Who knows who will show up to sit in with the band? So many great musicians call this home!
- The Nancy Atlas Project @ 10:00 pm
- A Montauk resident, Nancy Atlas has been dominating the East End Music scene or Long Island for quite some time. Guaranteed to get you up and dancing! Be prepared to have a great time . . .
- GE Smith and Friends @ 8:00 pm
Or, of course, you might just want to curl up in front of the fireplace in your suite at the Mill House Inn with some popcorn, a movie and a bottle of Champagne, and dream of sugarplums, fairies, and snowflakes. Call or email us to book your stay today!
Hope to see you for the holidays!