Exploring East Hampton Galleries off Main Street
It seems so long ago, Last July - to be precise - that I wrote about the Summer Art Scene in the Hamptons. At that time I promised to expound on the East Hampton Village Galleries.
Sorry I have taken so long. So, shall we take that walk through East Hampton Village to feast our eyes on art of all kinds - maybe even find the perfect piece to hang over (or place next to) your fireplace?
Eric Firestone Gallery
Eric Firestone Gallery
4 Newtown Lane, East Hampton 631-604-2386
- Eric Firestone Gallery was established in East Hampton in 2010 and, in 2015, expanded with an additional location — Eric Firestone Loft — in an historic artist live/work building at 4 Great Jones Street in New York City. Eric Firestone Gallery exhibits post-war and contemporary artists, and has a unique commitment to re-examining historic work and presenting major figures deserving of reintroduction. The gallery supports this mission with rigorous scholarship and archival research, looking at the entirety of an artist’s mission, creative vision, and life, in collaboration with institutions and collectors.
- East Hampton Star (2018) - A Happy Balance at Eric Firestone in East Hampton
- East Hampton Star (2016) - Reflection and Facsimile at Eric Firestone Gallery in East Hampton
- East Hampton Star (2015) - Eric Firestone: Talent-Spotter, Feather-Ruffler
- Hamptons Magazine (2014) - How Eric Firestone Helps Shape the Hamptons Art Scene
Halsey McKay Gallery Installation - Elias Hansen ‘Go Towards the Light’
Halsey Mckay Gallery
79A Newtown Lane, East Hampton 631-604-5770
- Halsey McKay Gallery was founded in 2011 with the goal to bring inspired contemporary art to East Hampton, New York. From the first exhibition, Halsey McKay Gallery has presented an eclectic and experimental range of international artists and programming. The gallery represents emerging and mid-career artists and participates extensively in art fairs. Halsey McKay regularly collaborates with curators, gallerists, and artists beyond the roster for on and off-site exhibitions. Halsey McKay is owned and directed by Ryan Wallace.
- ArtSpace (2016) - Life’s a Beach! Halsey McKay on How They Started a Gallery in Ritzy East Hampton for Next to Nothing
- East Hampton Star (2014) - Gaining Ground at Halsey Mckay
The Drawing Room Window Reflections on Works by Sheridan Love
The Drawing Room
16 Newtown Lane 631-324-5016
- Founded in 2004 by Emily Goldstein and Victoria Munroe, The Drawing Room presents exhibitions of contemporary and 20th-century painting, drawing, photography and sculpture. Highlighting the rich legacy of Eastern Long Island as an important center for art making, the gallery's installations range from intimate solo shows to more expansive surveys and salon exhibitions.
- East Hampton Star (2019) - Winter Romp at the Drawing Room
- East Hampton Star (2018) - Saul Steinberg at Play at Drawing Room
- Long Island Pulse (2016) - East End Influence From The Drawing Room in East Hampton
Stan Brodsky In The Springs - Courtesy of Lawrence Fine Art
Lawrence Fine Art
37 Newtown Lane, East Hampton 516-547-8965
- After 20 years on Wall Street and nearly as long as a collector, Howard Shapiro decided to make a business out of his passion for fine art. His goal is to place quality, well-priced works of American and International art in the hands of discerning collectors and homeowners. He generally focuses on American Impressionism, tonalism, early modernism and WPA, as well as select international movements such as L'ecole de Paris or Latin American surrealism. He works with collectors and decorators or just someone looking to enjoy fine art, to find the right work either from his extensive inventory or numerous contacts. Some of the artists represented include: David Einstein, Robert Goodnough, Harriette Joffe, Aristodimos Kaldis, LA Roc, Suzanne LaFleur, Deb Lawrence, Janet Mait, Joe Novak, Albert Paley, Rolph Scarlett, Sen2, Athos Zacharias
LI Pulse (2016) - East Hampton’s Lawrence Fine Art Gallery Is On a Mission
Art Solar Nomadic Art Installations
44 Davids Lane, East Hampton 631.907.8422
- Established in 2001 by Esperanza León, ARTSOLAR offers a unique proposition in the Hamptons - specialising in emergent artists from Latin America with a focus on contemporary art and design from Venezuela. For over 15 years, Esperanza has organised and hosted solo and group shows.. Satellite spaces and collaborations with other galleries have been alternate means to introduce little-known artists to the scene, and, since 2013, Esperanza has presented art+architecture collaborations in empty real estate—homes that are on the market—displaying carefully curated, personal collections of paintings, works on paper, mixed media, photographs, sculpture, and video by local, national, and international artists.
- Esperanza is a Trustee of the Board at Guild Hall of East Hampton and a member of ArtTable, a national organisation for women in the arts.
- East Hampton Star (2015) - A Nomadic Art Gallery
Janet Lehr Fine Art & Roman Fine Art Storefront
Janet Lehr Fine Art
68 Park Place, East Hampton 631-324-3303
- Janet Lehr has a reputation for being right on the mark when envisioning the course of undervalued/emerging art fields. In painting she arrived on the collecting scene when School of Paris was IN, American art was OUT. Looking only for the best, she focused the attention of the new and seasoned collectors on 19th and 20th Century American painting and sculpture-particularly American Impressionism, Modernism and Abstract Expressionism. By the mid 1960's those fields had 'caught on'. The great works were quickly swept off the market. Lehr's gaze was already on photography and she established a Photo Gallery in New York . . . Beaumont Newhall welcomed her into the 'club' when he happily told her, "Now we are SIX". Six? Beau continued, "you are the sixth collector."
- Formerly under the name Vered Gallery - which Janet joined as curator in 1983 - Janet Lehr Fine Arts offers modern and contemporary master works, 19th and 20th century paintings, sculpture, and photography. The gallery also presents curated themed shows that feature the work of contemporary artists mixed with modern masters
- Hamptons Art Hub (Jan. 2019) - Art Inspired by ‘Dreams’ of a Landscape & of Reality Transformed
- Dan’s Papers (2018) - Wear Red to Janet Lehr Fine Arts’ Valentine Exhibition Saturday
- 27East (2017) - Vered Gallery Is Now Janet Lehr Fine Arts
Dean ‘West Palm Spring II’ Courtesy of Roman Fine Art
Roman Fine Art
66 Park Place East Hampton 917-797-8931
- Damien A. Roman is an Art Consultant, Curator and Project Coordinator specializing in Contemporary and Modern Art exhibitions and sales for almost 20 years. Sharing space with Janet Lehr Fine Art, Roman Fine Art is committed to bringing the most provocative, relevant and exciting artworks from the 20th and 21st century to its clientele. Their mission is to create and foster new environments dedicated to recognizing and supporting Contemporary Art by showcasing the cutting edge talent increasingly pervading mainstream culture. Their goal is to further advance the dialogue of New Contemporary Art movements from around the world. Among the talented and internationally renowned artists to have exhibited in their exhibitions are Ray Caesar, Colin Christian, Tim Conlon, AJ Fosik, Gentleman’s Game, Mark Jenkins, Elektra KB, Steven Kline, Jessica Lichtenstein, Francesco Lo Castro, Nathan Sawaya, Swoon and Dean West.
- Hamptons Art Hub (2016) - Roman Fine Art Opens New Gallery and Introduces Contemporary Art Program
Wallace Gallery East Hampton NY
37A Main Street, East Hampton 631-329-4516
- Owned by Terry Wallace, Wallace Art Gallery Features 19th and Early 20th Century American art, specializing in paintings of Long Island. THey are always interested in acquiring paintings of Long Island and other places by Long Island artists including works by Thomas Moran, Cappy Amundsen, Edward Moran, and others.
- “Wallace has an ardent following of collectors thanks to his obsessive knowledge of local history. His painterly eye and curiosity have taken him on adventures of discovery; renewing interest in artists often long forgotten. He is what you would call, a "buff" . . . Many of the works in his collection will be the backbone of a new museum being created within the Percy Moran House, near the Gardiner windmill.” Gail Gallagher
- Dan’s Papers (Feb 2019) That Portrait of Jackie: Suit Dropped Over Painting of the Future First Lady
- The Independent (Feb 2019) - Rare Portrait Of Young Jackie Bouvier For Sale
- 27East (2018) - Baldwin Foundation Donates Paintings For New Gardiner Mill Cottage Gallery
- Painting the Hamptons by Gail Gallagher (2017) - East End Landscapes
Harper’s Books East Hampton NY
87 Newtown Lane, East Hampton 631-324-1131
- Harper’s Books, founded in 1997, is a bookshop and gallery located in East Hampton, New York. They specialize in rare photography, art, and literary books, with particular emphasis on association copies, landmark items in exceptional condition, and unique examples of work personalized by artists and writers. In addition to their book business, they have year round shows of fine art and photography, and exhibit at several international art and book fairs, including Paris Photo and the New York Book Fair.
- I have written about their bookstore in a previous blog: Our Hamptons Reading List: Bookstores
- Hamptons.com (2016) - Harper’s Books In East Hampton Presenting Works By Irish Painter Genieve Figgis
- The East Hampton Star (2013) - In Pursuit of the Rare and Wonderful
Scott Bluedorn Courtesy of Golden Eagle Art Supply
Golden Eagle Art Supply
144 North Main Street, East Hampton 631-324-0603
- Evolving from a tiny art supply section of a neighborhood hardware and paint store established in 1954, Golden Eagle Art has grown into a diverse, full-line art supply emporium, and is proud to be an inspirational and creative haven for The Hampton's artistic community. They offer year-round art classes at all levels in all disciplines and mediums, taught by an accomplished staff of artists and crafters. Every month, they sponsor an Artist of the Month exhibition, and have featured such artists as Peter Spacek, Leslie Obrock, Scott Bluedorn and many others - mostly local!
- Gary wrote about the Golden Eagle in his blog Shopping the Hamptons, Part II - East Hampton.
- 27East (2017) - Golden Eagle Art Supply To Open New Store And Studio On North Main Street
- Guild Hall (2019) - Art Workshops by Golden Eagle Artist Supply - Golden Eagle is always working to expand their roster of local artists!
So, I hope you enjoyed this exploration of East Hampton Village Art Galleries. There are still many more in the Hamptons worth the drive from the Mill House Inn!
We have mentioned some of them in past blogs and will explore them in more detail in the future.