Madoo Conservancy Gardens Sagaponack NY
This week we venture west of East Hampton to explore the Art Galleries of Sagaponack and Bridgehampton. Or, if you are on your way from New York, you can get a fix of art on your way driving to the Mill House Inn. Once summer comes around - unless you are really compelled by the art exhibited - we don’t really recommend driving west. Unless you really want to show off your new Lamborghini . . .
618 Sagg Main Street Sagaponack 631.537.8200
- The Madoo Conservancy is an artist’s garden, a magical oasis set on an enchanting 2-acre landscape in the heart of Sagaponack. It is a unique living tribute to the artistic imagination of its founder - acclaimed artist, writer, and gardener, Robert Dash. Madoo was established in 1967 and opened its gates to the public in 1994 - making 2019 their 25th anniversary as a public garden!
- With garden walks, art exhibitions, lectures, workshops, concerts, children’s programs, charity events, and more - the Conservancy seeks to continually engage, educate, and inspire visitors visitors within this ever-changing, entirely organic environment.
- Hamptons Magazine (2014): The Hidden Treasures of Robert Dash’s Madoo Conservancy
- East Hampton Star (2013): Robert Dash Obituary
- ‘Notes From Madoo’ by Robert Dash (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2000)
RJD Gallery – Margaret Bowland Artist
2385 Main Street, Bridgehampton 631-725-1161
- RJD Gallery specializes in contemporary art with a focus on Magical, Figurative Realism, Narrative Portraiture and Urban Landscape. They exhibit international, representational artists with a concentration on narrative realism, photorealistic portraiture, surrealism and figurative art. Exhibiting drawings, paintings and sculpture, with emerging artists and American Master Painters from their Private Collection, RJD presents a contemporary vision of our world.
- ‘The only art dealer worth his “salt”. He has a “perfect-eye”, great taste and “market-fair” prices!’ - Ron Delsener, Impresario, Art Collector, Resident of NYC & East Hampton
- Hamptons ArtHub (2017): A New Day for RJD Gallery and its Artists
- The Independent (2018): RJD Art Explores Imagination
- Artzine (2018): Secrets of the Twisted and Entwined
Dan Flavin Art Institute, Bridgehampton NY
Dia’s Dan Flavin Art Institute
23 Corwith Avenue, Bridgehampton 631-537-1476
- Established in 1983 as a permanent installation of Flavin’s work, this renovated firehouse holds nine works in fluorescent light created by the artist between 1963 and 1981, and a gallery for changing exhibitions. Planned by the artist for the second-floor gallery of the space, the permanent installation traces Flavin’s practice from 1963 -- when he decided to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes -- to 1981, just before the presentation was realized. In creating this exhibition, Flavin conceived of the sculptures and the architecture as a single, unified installation. By manipulating the formal, phenomenal, and referential characteristics of light, the installation asks viewers to consider a series of contrasts -- between colors, intensities of light, structure and formlessness, the obvious and the mysterious, the serious and the humorous.
- The Art Story - Modern Art Insight: Dan Flavin - American Sculptor
- FLOS: Light as Art: Corners, Barriers and Corridors by Dan Flavin
- New York times (1996): Dan Flavin, 63, Sculptor Of Fluorescent Light, Dies
- The East Hampton Star (1996): Obituaries: Dan Flavin, 63
Nancy Cohen ‘Underside, 2018’ from Kathryn Markel Fine Arts
Kathryn Markel Fine Arts
2428 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton 631-613-6386
- ‘At Kathryn Markel Fine Arts, we believe that significant contemporary art can be beautiful as well as visually and intellectually rigorous, and that acquiring it should be a source of pleasure and self-discovery. Since 1975, we have helped collectors find the art that speaks to them and, therefore, exhibit a diverse group of artists united by hard-won craft, compelling intellectual framework, and a love of the art-making process. We specialize in works on paper, abstraction, and abstracted landscape from mid-career and emerging artists.’
- Hamptons ArtHub (2018): Kathryn Markel: A Passion for Community in Art & Glassworks
- Hamptons.com (2010): Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Opens In Bridgehampton
Karyn Mannix Contemporary – Love & Passion
Karyn Mannix Contemporary
- Bringing together over 20 years of combined curatorial, advisory and collecting experience, kmc offers a range of art advisory services with a focus on contemporary art and the secondary market, to help organize your collection and build the right collection for both personal and corporate needs. Whether finding consultation and/or assistance on your recent art collection or looking to start new or add-on to a collection, karyn mannix contemporary has consulted and curated multiple A-list private clients, art auctions, trade shows, corporate installations and gallery presentations.
- For the past 15 years, KMC has been presenting the Annual ‘Love & Passion’ Exhibition in the Hamptons. Other projects include the Annual Artist Birdhouse Charity Auction in October, to coincide with Breast Health Awareness Month, and many one-off pop-up shows in various venues.
- “Mannix has an uncanny ability to always successfully merge the works of large groups of artists into one cohesive and thematic exhibition . . .” Eileen Casey.. Art Hamptons.com
- Hamptons.com (2019): karyn mannix contemporary Presenting Final "Love & Passion" at the Kathryn Markel Fine Arts Gallery
- The East Hampton Star (2016): Karyn Mannix Builds a Working Art Studio
Mark Borghi Fine Art Bridgehampton NY
Mark Borghi Fine Art
2426 Main Street, Bridgehampton 631-537-7245
- Mark Borghi Fine Art was founded in 1998 in New York. In 2004 the gallery opened a second space in Bridgehampton serving as a summer outpost exhibiting the same program as New York. The gallery program has mounted exhibitions of contemporary art featuring the work of Richard Prince, Jean Michel Basquiat and Christopher Wool as well as exhibitions dedicated to the history of The New York School, Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art showing the earlier work of Hans Hofmann, Roy Lichtenstein and Willem de Kooning.
- East Hampton Star (2018): In ‘Compendium,’ Borghi Goes Eclectic
- Hamptons Magazine (2012): Mark Borghi in ArtHamptons, Incorporating Art Into Your East End Home
- Hamptons.com (2011): Gallery Owner Mark Borghi Talks Willem de Kooning And The [Non] Selling Of Art
White Room Gallery Sculpture Garden, Bridgehampton NY
The White Room Gallery
2415 Main Street Bridgehampton 631-237-1481 Fri-Sun: 11-5 pm
- The White Room Gallery opened in 2015 to rave reviews and has been voted best gallery on the South Fork ever since. They work with collectors who appreciate an eclectic blend of contemporary art with themes ranging from the abstract and graphic to the surreal and magical, and represent both well-known and emerging artists - domestically and internationally.
- Hamptons ArtHub (2019): ‘Black & White’ Brings Visual Drama to the White Room Gallery
- The East Hampton Star (2018): Steve Cohen: A Painter With Light Takes Up the Easel
- Dan’s Papers (2015): The White Room Gallery Debuts in Bridgehampton
While you happen to be in Bridgehampton, you might want to stop for a cocktail, or even dinner, at Bobby Van’s - the old haunt of the Lions in Summer and other great Hamptons writers. But if you see the ghost of Truman Capote hovering over your martini glass, you may want to call us to arrange for a ride home!