‘Carolyn’s Kitchen’ What I am thinking about this week
With East Hampton’s summer season in full swing, may I suggest some caffeine to keep you going. Whether shopping in the village, heading to the beach or doing nothing at all; MHI cold brew is delish & our coffee menu reigns supreme! More on that in a moment.
from the farms & markets today
asparagus . beets . cabbage . escarole . radicchio . garlic . chard . collards . kale . mustard . greens . leeks . kohlrabi . mesclun . microgreens . mushrooms . napa . cabbage . onion . peas . potatoes . radishes . romaine . rhubarb . strawberries . scallions . turnips . wheat berries . zucchini
@ the ‘nack & coffee bar
J, aka our ‘captain of caffeine,’ has perfected MHI’s cold brew coffee. Over ice with a bit of Ronnybrook Farms cream, it’s perfect for an afternoon pick me up while lounging on our front porch or strolling down main street!
- deathwish coffee toffee
- amber waves whole wheat pretzels
- carissa’s pickled rye with house-cured salmon
- montauk rum runners’ coconut rum truffles
- ‘I’m a big coffee drinker, I’m so glad you have great coffee’
- ‘I used to stop at Starbucks every day. Now when I see you on my delivery schedule I say ‘no way’’ MHI coffee is 10X better
- ‘Thank god we are in a place that has really amazing coffee, I love it!’
- ‘Wow, you have a full page menu just for coffee, caffeine here I come!’
- ‘It is so nice to have excellent coffee in the states. Most times it is like flavored water.’
I almost forgot about the coffee…
Mike Brown from Deathwish Coffee was on the phone with ‘J’ our Captain of Caffeine! And I got to sit in on the conversation…
Mike Brown started his romance with caffeine in a small coffee shop in upstate New York. Many of his customers would request ‘his strongest coffee.’ Knowing that the darkest coffees are not the most caffeinated nor do they taste the best, Mike wanted to create exactly what his customers dreamed about. He blended beans, tasted and tested and created a unique roasting process. He didn’t give up, or SLEEP, until he created the World’s Strongest Coffee. At +54mg of caffeine per ounce, it has ++ double the caffeine of the coffees he used as his benchmark. And boy does it have flavor PLUS!
DeathWish is on everyone’s short list for the world’s best coffee. But it’s the Team @DWC that really make the difference. They live, work and breathe caffeine. Their dedication to coffee is akin to MHI’s belief in the Art of Hospitality. It was no surprise that ‘J’ awarded DeathWish a prominent place on our market sheet for coffee. DeathWish entered Intuit’s ‘small biz big game super bowl competition’ the rest of the story is history… watch the ‘storm’s a brewin’ DWC commercial.
You’re in luck if… On your next trip out east, if J is at the front desk pontificating coffee…
- Step #1 Please pull up a stool and ask him for a coffee tasting
- Step #2 Ask about the caffeine culture at MHI
- Step #3 See about tasting some of Chef’s ‘nacks with your coffee
Carolyn Stec, Executive Chef
“crusader of worthwhile causes”